Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Soundtrack Of Life

This Christmas my sweet boy received an iPod shuffle and while I was loading it with him I started thinking about how, in life, we each create our own soundtrack.  I love that a song can come on and I am instantly transported to a time in my life when it was relevant to me. 

I hear the soundtrack to Les Miserables and the song Castle on A Cloud takes me back to the times when I dreamed that things would change in my world and between my parents. I knew every word to that soundtrack at one time... wonder if I still do?

When Alanis comes on in all her angst I can remember exactly where I was when I first heard her... driving down College Avenue in my little silver CRX, it was just before my senior year of high school.  Jagged Little Pill is still one of my favorite albums of all time.  You Learn played on repeat in my car and dorm room.  It's of course totally appropriate for my OLW 2010.  Her songs were catchy but I was attracted to her honest views of life and her lack of concern for what others thought.  I admired that she put herself, her authentic self, out there for the world to hear and see.

In college the song Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls was dedicated to me by a long time love and it breaks my heart every time I hear it.  "And I'd give up forever to touch you, because I know that you feel me somehow, you're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be." "Sooner or later it's over, I just don't want to miss you tonight.  I don't want the world to see me because I don't think that they'd understand.  When everything is made to be broken I just want you to know who I am.".  I have it on my iPod because it is an integral part of my life soundtrack; it plays and I cry.  I like that songs have the ability to stir such powerful emotions.

When I first had Coleman, Garth Brooks came out with a song called Wrapped Up In You.  I used to dance around the kitchen holding him and singing "How do I love you, well let me see, I love you like the lyric loves the melody... baby completely wrapped up in you.  How do I need you, well can't you tell, I need you like a penny needs a wishing well... baby completely wrapped up in you. How do I love you, well count the ways, there ain't no number high enough to end this phrase... baby completely wrapped up in you."  He still thinks I am a fantastic singer... he's a sweet boy and those words will always be true.

There have been a lot of good songs released in the past few years and I currently listen to a wide variety of music... the top ten most played songs on my iPod are... Better Days - The Goo Goo Dolls, I'm Alive - Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews,  The House That Built Me - Miranda Lambert (if you don't own this song you really need to check it out), Keep You - Sugarland, Gravity - Sara Bareilles, Let Me Be Myself - 3 Doors Down, These Are The Days - 10,000 Maniacs, It Happens - Sugarland, Over My Head - The Fray and Good People - Jack Johnson... I'm a sucker for good lyrics, especially if they tell a story, and a haunting melody gets me every time.

What's on your life soundtrack?

ETA: I don't only listen to sad/realistic song... I may or may not have a Hannah Montana song in my 25 most played... I'm just sayin'.

7 comments:

  1. For me, it's not really connected to any specific thing in my own life - not something I can pinpoint, but it is very much connected to feelings for entire periods in my life.

    "Join me in Death" by HIM is from when I was 16 and reading Poppy Z Brite's "Lost souls". Later, Sia's "Breathe me", from the Six Feet Under soundtrack was very important to me, and still makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several years ago I did a circle journal with a group of friends and my theme was soundtrack of my life. I sent CD's with my book for them to make their own soundtrack. I loved all the pages and CDs they created. Such a fun thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to your post here! I have songs that make me cry too and some are old loves and some are current connections. Great quote I read recently said it all for me "Music is what feelings sound like." ((hugs)) Nothing like a good passionate song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post! I'm just like this... when i hear a song it transports me to a special time or moment. I love that. :-)

    Thanks so much for sharing these memories with us! It was so fun to read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE Les Mis!! Some great songs in your post (and I may or may not know all the words to a certain very popular Hannah Montana song...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so true! I hear songs on the radio and they take me back to a certain moment in time and it almost feels like I am there again. Stay by Lisa Loeb -- senior year of HS. Breakfast at Tiffany's -- first week of college. Alanis Hand in My Pocket -- basement party at the Sig Ep house. The list goes on and on!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am so behind on almost all the songs you mentioned (LOL!) but i DO LOVE soundtracks most of all. they definitely take me to other times and places, a lot of them very emotional for me. anyways, love the post about music!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read what you have to say!