Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reading, Writing, and Parking



Okay, so I'm back in school!   I am relieved that I am not the oldest person in my classes, although I don't think of 31 as old on any scale.  I love, love, love my law classes... thank God because working in the legal field is what I'm planning to do as a career.  I really like my regional geography professor but the book is boring me to tears... it's the big blue-ish one that is 12" tall and 10" wide and boast super fab 10 point type.  My online art appreciation class is pretty cool so far, I love the subject, the book is darn good and all my time on Studio Calico has prepared me well for the online class format ;)

My first week and half have contained a few learning experiences that I didn't expect...

  • I had to parallel park for the first time EVER and I totally did it!  I knew the basics, read about it (yes I am a book junkie) and then attempted it with great success, the first day that is... the second day I was a little too close to the curb, but we just won't talk about it. 


  • I had forgotten how sore your hand can be after taking four pages of notes. 


  • I discovered that most text books now come with a CD of all the notes, of course this was only after I spent three hours taking notes on the first chapter of my legal analysis book. 


  • I learned that if you want a parking space that is not patrolled by the city you have to get there by 9:30. 


  • I've decided not to take my laptop to class because really it's just a huge distraction for me and the sound of typing seems to annoy others. 


  • I've figured out that you should get on the first available elevator going up, even if it's packed already (luckily I remembered that bit of herd mentality from our Vegas trip). 


  • Oh and last but not least, take a bottle of water and a jacket, it's dry and sometimes super cold in the classrooms, the poor girl next to me was wearing gloves while taking notes today!


Well, that's really all I have time for... must get back to the North American realm and all it's tiny font glory...

3 comments:

  1. hmmmm....apparently you can't be an expert at GEOGRAPHY and TYPOGRAPY?!? I may have to remedy that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so exciting. I can't wait to follow this journey of yours.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read what you have to say!