Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Perfect Summer Dessert



It's finally warming up here in the Rocky Mountains and to celebrate I wanted to share with you this fantastic dessert recipe that requires no baking, meaning no heat in the house from the oven, but yet gives you something warm to put over your ice cream... that's the ultimate combination for me, something warm and gooey over cold ice cream!

Ala PW I took some photos along the way to spice up this post. So with no further ado... Summer Berries with Dumplings... adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe

1 pound frozen berries, I used mixed and strawberries
1 tbs = 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
6 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbs butter, melted
1/2 cup milk (could use buttermilk and leave out 1/2 tsp lemon juice)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

In a medium skillet cook the berries, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, water, and four tablespoons of sugar over medium heat for 14 minutes, a little less at sea level, until they are slightly thickened and bubbly.

While those cook combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and two tablespoons of sugar in a large bowl with a whisk. Add in the milk, 1/2 tsp lemon juice. and butter...stir until just combined, there may be a few specks of dry flour still, don't worry, if you go too long the dumplings will be tough. *here I used lemon juice as the acid normally found in buttermilk, you can omit the lemon juice if you are using buttermilk*


When the berries are ready divide the dumplings into six big dollops and space evenly in the pan, sprinkle them with the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Cover the pan tightly with foil and turn the heat down to low for 15-18 minutes, you will know the dumplings are done if they are "dry" on top, meaning the dough does not come off on your finger when poked.

Serve over vanilla ice cream and enjoy!

We have also cooked this on our grill along side steaks and it works great!

8 comments:

  1. YOu are too much of a domestic goddess for me. I fear our twin status has been shattered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy! I will have to try this one...I bet my family would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in the Front Range... howdy! And that desert, looks FANTASTIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That looks amazing. I am stuck at work craving this. Grr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. my. word. That looks positively sinful! I must make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. uhhh....i am speechless. too much drool running down my chin.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read what you have to say!