This soup is one of my favorite fall dishes!
It is a beautiful starter for Thanksgiving
or just a great warm food hug any night of the week!
Apple-Butternut Squash Soup
with Caramelized Sausage Croutons
1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
1 apple, peeled, cored and quartered
1 sweet onion, peeled and quartered
1/2 quart vegetable or chicken stock
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tbs butter, melted
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound of sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- Preheat your oven to 450 and line a sheet pan with aluminium foil.
- Place your squash cut side up on the sheet pan and brush with butter. Place half of an apple in the hollow of each squash, then brush the onions with butter and arrange in between the squash halves on the pan. Sprinkle the veggies with salt & pepper and cover the whole thing with foil.
- Roast the veggies for 45 minutes to 1hour; the squash should be very tender when poked with a fork. Let the veggies cool for 10 minutes or until you are able to handle them.
- Carefully place half of the squash flesh, apples, onions and broth in a blender... make sure that it is only 2/3 of the way full and the lid is very secure for your safety... puree until smooth. If your have a small blender please be careful and do this in small batches!
- Combine the puree and orange juice into a pot and keep warm on the stove.
- Roll the sausage into 1in balls and caramelize in a skillet. To get the best color and crunch let them sit until they turn easily... don't rush this part.